New MSU coach? Jonathan Smith from Oregon State The Enlightened Spartan: New MSU coach? Jonathan Smith from Oregon State

Friday, October 06, 2023

New MSU coach? Jonathan Smith from Oregon State

Maybe the next coach of Michigan State?
Oregon State's Jonathan Smith brings no baggage and WINS

The ES is fed up with all the "Urban Meyer for coach" crap.  Meyer hired an individual who beat his wife, was involved in a lap dance, and also in recruiting violations.  Many in the Spartan Nation are asking, "why don't you just want a winner, he is guaranteed."  Meyer is not guaranteed.  He would never offer a guarantee to MSU, so there is no guarantee. People, show me ONE STUDY that shows paying more for a coach equates to more wins.  

I thought so. There is no study. Why?  Because football is a zero-sum game: one team wins, another team loses.  So, the chances of winning is gambling with good money.

To MSU Trustees: Don't spend so much money on a coach without any guarantee of victory!  To his credit, even UM coach Harbaugh cut his contract in half before he could prove his teams could succeed to the promised land, aka CFP. 

As my friend Paul from Australia said - and he and I graduated back in 1990/91: "I don't know enough about college fb to speak intelligently. I would settle for a decent human being."

What a brillant quote.  A decent human being. OK, so let's check Urban Meyer off our list. 

Let's be fair: the last three hires from MSU were unexpected:  John L Smith from Louisville, Mark Dantonio from Cincy, and Mel Tucker from Colorado.  I expect the same: a name noone is talking about.

I give you: Jonathan Smith, of Oregon State.  Personally, if I was coach at Oregon State in Corvallis, I would never leave.  It is the most beautiful campus in America.  I want to die in Corvallis, or Cannon Beach, or anywhere on the Oregon Coast.  That said, Smith is young.  His team is ranked #15 at 4-1, and last year was 10-3.  The year before, 7-6. But he has some impressive wins on his resume: #10 Utah last week, a 30-3 shellacking of SEC Florida in the Vegas Bowl, win over Oregon last year, won at USC in 2021... he has a strong resume.  And, he has no problems. 

I think this is our guy: Jonathan Smith.  My contract deal: Offer him maybe $1M up front, then $750K  per win. The more he wins, the more he makes.  Purely an incentive-based contract.   Take it or leave it.  But this is his chance, and our chance. 

Thoughts?  Go GREEN.