Who to root for this weekend? One down already: in the third quarter, #2 Oregon is hammering #7 Arizona, 44-7. #8 Michigan State will leapfrog the Cats without even playing a game - and, this looks good for MSU, whose 1 of 2 losses came to the Ducks.
So, who should the Spartan Nation root for? Let's look at those in action ranked above the Spartans who are playing this weekend:
- #1 Alabama vs #16 Missouri (SEC title). Always root against that evil man, Nick $aban, who left MSU high and dry. But, even if 'Bama loses (may as well predict the planet Mars to explode), they likely would not fall enough for MSU to leapfrog.
- #3 TCU vs Iowa State. TCU is favored by 5 TDs. Root for Iowa State, but much as noted above, the Horned Frogs are a lock against a 2-8 Cyclone team.
- #4 Florida State vs #11 Georgia Tech (ACC title). Root for Georgia Tech in a close game, just because the tattered history of Florida State football is so damn ugly to support. And, we need one loss out of Florida State or Baylor. Fla State has been an unimpressive undefeated team, and with a Ga Tech win, the Jackets may likely leapfrog MSU, but the Spartans could also leapfrog the 'Noles (depending on how the size of the victory/loss).
- #13 Wisconsin vs #5 Ohio State (Big Ten title). Much like 'Bama, there isn't much love in the football world for the Buckeye's Urban Meyer. Gotta hate the cheating ways of the wiener. Plus, a Buckeye loss combined with the injury to QB Barrett would likely see quite a drop out of the Buckeyes, and a Spartans leapfrog.
- #6 Baylor vs #9 Kansas State. Baylor is favored by a TD, but ROOT FOR Kansas State in a close game. A close Cat win would likely allow the possibility of a MSU jump because of the few spots between Baylor and KSU... however, there is the possibly of a KSU jump over MSU.
Realistically, Alabama & TCU are locks. Oregon is rolling. Thus, let's think if Ga Tech, Wisky, and Kansas State win. That could move the College FB Rankings to be as follows:
4. Georgia Tech or Kansas State
5. Kansas State or Georgia Tech
6. Florida State
7. Michigan State
9. Mississippi State
11. Ohio State
12. Ole Miss
14. Arizona, etc...
If K-State wins but Ga Tech loses, then the top 4 remain set (Ala, Ore, TCU, Fla St) and Mich State likely can move up to #6.