The NCAA was very light on rule changes this year. Most significant is placing the ball at the 25 after kickoff/safety touchbacks (not punts, fumbles, or INTs). The rule changes are:
- Kickoffs will be moved up to the 35 yard line from the 30.
- The kicking team will only have a five yard running head start on kickoffs.
- Touchbacks will move from the 20 yard line to the 25 yard line only on kickoffs and free kicks after a safety.
- On onside kicks, teams can't kick it into the ground first.
- Players cannot leap over other players when blocking punts (see photo: that's a no-no #99). That's a 15-yard penalty.
- Players who lose their helmets during a play (except when caused by fouls) will have to leave the field for one play.
- Offensive players in the tackle box at the snap who are not in motion are allowed to block below the waist legally without restriction. All other players are restricted from blocking below the waist with some exceptions (i.e. blocking straight-on).