Predictions included: nationalchamps.net, about.com, Mark Schlabach/ESPN, scout.com, rivals.com, San Jose Mercury News, SI.com, College FB Saturday, Associated Content, College Foot Blog.
Big Ten teams in bold.
|Rank||School (first pl. votes) ||Avg.|
|1||Alabama (9) ||1.18|
|2||Ohio State (1) ||2.27|
|3||Boise State (1) ||3.45|
So, what stands out?
- Yes, Boise State at #3.
- The Big Ten looks to be the Big Four (Ohio St #2, Iowa #6, Wisconsin #11, Penn St #17) and Little Seven.
- The Big 12 is the Big Three (Texas #5, Nebraska #10, Oklahoma #12) and Little Nine.
- Only the top 14 teams were included in every single poll.
- Nebraska is back (#10).
- Notre Dame is not.
- With all the talk of giving non-BCS teams a better shot at the national title game, only three made it in the preseason Top 25: Boise State #3, TCU #8, and Houston #25.
- Conferences with most teams in Top 25? ACC and SEC each have five teams.
- The death of the Big Least? Pittsburgh led that sad conference at #20, Cinci at #22, and West Virginia just out at #26. Why would the Big Ten raid the Big Least? Certainly not for football.
- Oregon at #4 is ranked ahead of Southern Cal (#15).
TCU at Oregon State (Sep 4)
Boise State at Virginia Tech (Sep 6)
Penn State at Alabama (Sep 11)
Miami-Fla at Ohio State (Sep 11)
Miami-Fla at Pitt (Sep 23)
Oregon State at Boise State (Sep 25)
West Virginia at LSU (Sep 25)
Interesting non-Notre Dame, Big Ten non-conference matchups:
Northwestern at Vanderbilt (Sep 4). All-brains bowl.
Illinois vs Mizzou (Sep 4). When-will-Illinois-compete-in-this-rivalry? bowl.
Penn State at Alabama (Sep 11). Wisdom vs. Lack-of-integrity bowl.
Miami-Fla at Ohio State (Sep 11). All-cheaters bowl.
Southern Cal at Minnesota (Sep 18). 180-degree weather bowl.
CMU at Northwestern (Sep 25). Spread-offense bowl.
Arizona State at Wisconsin (Sep 28).
Illinois at Fresno State (Dec 3).
Indiana's non-conference schedule is one of shame:
Towson (Sep 2)
at Western Kentucky (Sep 18)
Akron (Sep 25)
Arkansas State (Oct 16)